Re: proprietary default options [was Re: disabling unsupported options]

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

> Also, it seems awfully silly to enable options by default for
> proprietary software and codecs.  Any objections to my turning these
> off by default?  And do we have any policy written down about such
> options in general?  I dimly seem to recall bringing it a year or two
> ago in the context of some other package but to no conclusion; it
> seems to me that if we have a set of default acceptable licences then
> we ought to have a set of default options that fit them.

I don't think we have a policy written down about it.  I have no
objection. Please do it. Let's add a sentence to the guide. And disable
any plugins causing distribution problems. And let's only set
NO_BIN_ON_CDROM, NO_BIN_ON_FTP, and NO_SRC_ON_FTP as needed.

This may be interesting:
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/mplayer.html#problems
http://wiki.debian.org/MultimediaCodecs#Legal_Issues