Re: Circular dependency

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013, Sean Boudreau wrote:
Recently devel/gtexinfo had USE_TOOLS+= bash added.
Unfortunately bash has USE_TOOLS+= makeinfo and
on platforms that don't have makeinfo it gets
replaced with devel/gtextinfo by mk/tools/replace.mk.

Thoughts?

I suggest attacking the problem from both sides.

bash could be split into bash-base and bash-doc, where bash-doc depends
on makeinfo but bash-base does not.  (I note that bash2 and bash2-doc
are already in separate packages, but the same was not done for the
plain "bash" package, which is actaully bash version 4.x.)

Also, gtexinfo should not depend on bash.  As far as I can tell, the
only bash script is texi2dvi, but the first thing that script does
is to try to exec itself under ksh.  So it could be changed to a ksh
script.  However, I did not notice any kshisms in a quick scan through
the script, so perhaps it could be patched to skip trying to exec ksh,
and then treated as a plain sh script.

--apb (Alan Barrett)