localize _PYSETUPINSTALLARGS in lang/python/extension.mk and/or _PYSETUPTOOLSINSTALLARGS in egg.mk

Would it be possible to localize the _PYSETUPINSTALLARGS variable in
lang/python/extension.mk and/or the _PYSETUPTOOLSINSTALLARGS variable in
lang/python/egg.mk? I have an egg-awake package that doesn't recognize
the --single-version-externally-managed option and fails during install. If
there's a better way to work around this, i would be interested in hearing it.
I noticed that all other variables in extesion.mk's do-build and do-install are
localized.  Was wondering why this one wasn't.

TIA