ccache not working on 1-file joint compile/link programs?

I am looking at wip/polarssl, and finding that it is calling the C
compiler not through ccache.  I think the reason is due to make rules in
the tests directory like:

  test_suite_aes: test_suite_aes.c ../library/libpolarssl.a
          echo   "  CC            $@.c"
          $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(OFLAGS) $@.c  $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

and that ccache can't handle that.  Am I following correctly?  Is there
anything to be done besides rewriting the rules to separate
compile/link?  Is this, in the modern world, fair to consider a bug in
the upstream Makefile?

(I am not suggesting that this is a problem sufficient to not import the
package.)