Re: postgresql packages, PG_SUBPREFIX and CONFLICTS

On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 10:42:54AM +0100, Filip Hajny wrote:

> That's a request we have received many times from our cloud customers. They
> are not familiar with pkgsrc, look for particular tool, and don't know which
> package has it. While some of these case are arguable ('gmake' vs. 'make'),
> some others are entirely valid (e.g. why there is 'mercurial' and monotone',
> but 'scmcvs' and 'scmgit'?). If e.g. pkgin could suggest package names based
> on PLIST entries, that would be great.

That's a common issue to all packaging systems. If you have a reliable way
to obtain PLIST information, you can easily build a database from it.

We did that in OpenBSD, and now we have a locate(8) database of all files
in all packages, prepended with the package name.

Hooking that to various tools is not too difficult. It's also possible to
simply advertize on it, so that people may choose to start with that
specific package, then get whatever file they want.

Any database format will do, but locate(8) is very suitable for that since
its compression scheme was more or less designed for that.