Re: postgresql packages, PG_SUBPREFIX and CONFLICTS

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:39:42PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>> 1. CONFLICTS is relevant only for source builds with non-staged and/or
>> privileged
>> installation, when package can perform uncontrolled writes. Other corner
>> cases
>> are so rare that I don't remember any. I don't know if Joerg can bring real
>> examples,
>> and until he does, these cases are the only real reason why CONFLICTS exists
>> still.
>
> Consider two packages that want to install ${PREFIX}/etc/my-package.conf,
> but require incompatible syntax. That's something pkg_install won't
> handle.

This is still a hypothetical reason, I haven't seen it in practice.

"mpd" from MPICH2 and audio/musicpd do (did) use such a file (mpd.conf),
and I did have renamed MPICH2 mpd once on my systems (since this was
deprecated and there's almost no overlap of users, it didn't go into pkgsrc),
but these packages conflicted in another way as well.

--
HE CE3OH...