Re: cvs import -> cvs add

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 11:57:16AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
 > > AFAIK, we use 'cvs import' for adding new packages since at the
 > > beginning of pkgsrc, the first packages came from FreeBSD ports and
 > > the idea was to sync them from there regularly. This never happened.
 > >
 > > Since 'cvs import' is much more error-prone than 'cvs add' and doesn't
 > > provide any additional features we need, I suggest we switch to using
 > > 'cvs add'.
 >
 > Discussion has died down, more + than -, so I've updated the guide.

There is one procedural bit I'd prefer to retain, which is to commit
the new package separately and not roll it in with adding to the
category makefile (or CHANGES-*). This way the name of the new package
appears in the Subject: in the commit message, so one is certain to
see the names of new packages when paging through pkgsrc-changes.

There's quite a number of useful packages I've discovered by seeing
them that way and I'm probably not the only one...

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost