mail/mailman and check_perms/SPECIAL_PERMS

It looks to me that installing mail/mailman relies on mailman's check_perms
script in order to set the special (mostly group mailman and g+s)
owners/permission in the lib/mailman directory.

On our setup however, this fails because check_perms also wants to check
var/db/mailman, which, being an NFS mount, it fails to descend into as root is
NFS-mapped to nobody.

Is there any compelling reason to use mailman's check_perms script instead of
pkgrsrc's builtin mechanisms (SEPCIAL_PERMS, if I remember correctly)? Am I
missing something?