unmodified configuration file that should not be removed

Hello,
I'm working on a package which has a special file that I do not know
how to handle. This file contains a version of the data structure
used by the software. On a first install, this script is generated
automatically. On subsequent install this file is not overwritten,
so that the software can deal with older data format.

How do we deal with this in pkgsrc ?
Adding it to the PLIST will cause it to be removed at pkg_add -u time,
which is not what we want.
Dealing with it using CONF_FILES or SUPPORT_FILES will have the same
problem, as this file should not be changed after install.

I think at make install time, this file should be generated in
share/example, and pkg_add should copy it to the right location if
it doesn't already exists; pkg_delete should never remove it.
How can I do this ?