Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc

Steven Drake <sbd%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>
>> Please be very careful about adding readline dependencies on stuff.
>> It is only legal with GPL compatible code...
>
> I've checked and they all GPL compatible, but I would thing that the
> authors would not use or try to use readline if the programs are not
> GPL compatible.

It's a bit more subtle.  First, I'll accept that dynamic linking creates
a derived work (although that's not really settled).

  Building a package with a base GPL-incompatible license and readline is
  permissible.  But it can't be *distributed*.  This is a nit, and
  really I agree with Joerg.

  Strictly, a package that bl3s in readline should have LICENSE=foo AND
  gnu-gpl-v3.   Arguably that should be part of the infrastructure and
  in the bl3 file.

  Realistically, I'm not sure there are people that object to GPL3 as a
  license of packages they install.  So it may not be worth worrying
  about.

Also:

  Don't we have editline?  Is there a way to use it instead, and should
  there be a mk/? fiel instead?

  In some packages, readline is controlled by an option.  But, there may
  not be enough interest in that to be worth the trouble.