Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/platform

    Date:        Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:42:23 +0000
    From:        "David Brownlee" <abs%NetBSD.org@localhost>

  | switch NetBSD-4 and AIX to default to modular X11_TYPE

I have no problem with that, since I think it's the only rational
choice (well, for NetBSD-4, I know nothing about AIX) and it is just
making the default be what I have been using anyway.

But, I think this needs a HEAD-UP (a well publicised one, widely
distributed) informing people that have binary packages that they
want to remain consistent with that they need to explicitly set
X11_TYPE if they didn't before - while I agree with the change, this
kind of modification is highly intrusive.

And I'm still looking for advice about whether I should be doing this
for NetBSD 5 - which is using X11R7, not X11R6 at least, so it is much
closer to pkgsrc modular Xorg, but NetBSD 5 is more than 2 years old
now, something must have changed in the (client side of, server is
irrelevant here) pkgsrc modular Xorg in that time - in fact, we know it
has, the xcb stuff seems different.  The question is are the changes
significant enough to warrant doing what was just done above for NetBSD 4
to NetBSD 5 as well, at least for my private builds ?

I was hoping when I sent the original message that spawned all of this
to get one of the developers who actually maintains X (in NetBSD &/or in
pkgsrc) to give an opinion - so far we don't seem to have had that.

kre