Re: pkgsrc-2011Q2 NetBSD 5.0.2/i386 2011-08-14 13:15

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 07:09:06PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
>  >> > pkgtools/nih                                 vle%gmx.net@localhost
>  >>   pkg_add: Error: package `nih-0.7.2' was built with a newer pkg_install
> version
>  >>   pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
>  >>
>  >> It looks like bootstrap archive used in pbulk needs to be updated.
>
> > Welcome to the pkg_install handling on NetBSD base.
>
> Could you please explain why nih fails in pbulk?
> Your recent clang bulk build has the same problem.

Sure, since it is just running "pkg_add $FOO" to test installation.
There are ways to cheat around the install test like setting
BOOTSTRAP_PKG, but that's no fix for effectively bootstrapping and using
the pkg_install version from pkgsrc properly.

> P.S.  If I were a person responsible for pkg_install in base, I'd remove
> it from there completely. If its initial purpose was to install packages
> from NetBSD repositories without downloading pkgsrc tree, we can write a
> script for downloading pkg_install binary package, unpack it and
> initialize pkgdb, then use pkg_* tools from /usr/pkg just like users
> under all other systems do.
> For non-NetBSD repositories such script can be a part of the repository
> (ftp -o - url | sh).

My last attempts at getting pkg_install behavior to be sane (by moving
it entirely to pkgsrc) were objected to on the base that pkgsrc is
NetBSD's packaging system and therefore NetBSD must be first class. No
further comments from me.

Joerg