Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/meta-pkgs/py-gnome-bindings

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 11:08:18AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
 > > 2. It is indirect restriction.
 > >    PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED for py-gtk2 already had been fixed.
 > >    Even if we change to using _INCOMPATIBLE, this issue will be happened
 > >    unless maintain PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED/INCOMPATIBLE recursively.
 >
 > I agree this is a problem (and I don't have a solution);

Shouldn't it be possible to hand-maintain just the info for the
current package and compute the transitive closure on the fly? I guess
this becomes tricky when all you have is a DEPENDS entry, because then
you aren't including anything from the other package.

 > using PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE solves another one (adding new
 > python versions to pkgsrc) though, so I think we should do make
 > that the preferred variable.

There are two cases, so both of these variables are wanted. If you
have an old package that's been left behind and only works on
python24, it should use PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED=24, so when python28
comes out no manual intervention is needed.

However, if you have a new package that's left behind old versions of
python so it doesn't work on python24, it should use
PYTHON_VERSIONS_INCOMPATIBLE=24 so when python28 comes out no manual
intervention is needed either.

also, for consistency shouldn't it be PYTHON_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED and
PYTHON_VERSIONS_REJECTED?

(or even "PYTHON_VERSIONS=+24 +25 -26"?)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost