{,pam_,nss_}ldap.conf

It looks like security/pam_ldap and databases/nss_ldap have recently been
changed to share a single config (ldap.conf) instead of seperate ones
(pam_ldap.conf/nss_ldap.conf).

I have two problems with this:

1. Upgrading nearly made my test server unusable. Upgrading nss_ldap will
install a default ldap.conf which doesn't match local requirements. If I
wouldn't have had a root shell open, I would have had to fix by rebooting via
ddb and going single user (because sudo kicks me off with "who are you").

2. The two files share/examples/pam-ldap/ldap.conf and
share/examples/nss_ldap/ldap.conf differ. So I have to merge manually to get a
template for a config that I then can adapt to local requirements.

Is this intentional? Am I missing something?