Re: Denying #!/usr/bin/env as a valid interpreter

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:43 PM, George Michaelson <ggm%pobox.com@localhost>
wrote:

> Maybe I am misreading things, but this reads to me like a proposal to
> ignore what python people experience on *every other platform* and
> attempt to enforce a 'NetBSD does this different' position.
>
> I love NetBSD, but thats a form of mental torture that I suspect few
> python developers want to go with.
>
> if #!/usr/bin/env python doesn't work on NetBSD, then NetBSD has a
> problem, not python. If the problem is which python to invoke, then I
> think it bears musing how other Unix-like platforms deal with this.
>
> What I am reading here smells a lot like 'we wont fix/change netbsd'
>
> Please tell me I'm wrong.

It must be at least 50% of python programs using /usr/bin/env.

It's also recommended here:
http://docs.python.org/tutorial/interpreter.html
http://docs.python.org/using/unix.html
http://docs.python.org/py3k/tutorial/interpreter.html#invoking-the-interpreter
 (env python3.2)

I have a /usr/bin/python symlink but I can't remember where it came from.  :)