Re: Making DESTDIR support mandatory

  we are not at the point that only 127 packages in the main tree don't
  support DESTDIR. I want to make it a required feature now and mark all
  remaining packages explicitly as BROKEN after the branch. Please help
  adding DESTDIR support if you use anything remaining on the list.

A reasonable step would be to have packages fail to build if USE_DESTDIR
is on but they don't support it, instead of falling back to non-DESTDIR
builds.  That would provide more of an encouragement to fix packages,
but without needlessly withdrawing the ability to use a package for
those who aren't yet using DESTDIR.

Or did you mean you are proposing to remove support for non-DESTDIR
builds?  (It seems quite a bit too early for that.)