Re: teTeX-bin dependency installs take over 12 hours

On Feb 14, 2011, at 20:14, Min Sik Kim wrote:

>> Watching the output and some sed revield an interesting inefficiency:
>>
>> /var/pkg/lib/texmf/web2c/luatex/luatex.fmt and
>> /var/pkg/lib/texmf/web2c/luatex/dviluatex.fmt were both rebuilt 2647 times,
>> pdftex/pdftex.fmt, pdeftex/pdfetex.fmt and pdftex/etex.fmt were rebuilt 1008
>> times each.
>
> What does your etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf have?

  It's attached.  I haven't modified it. (This is from in the middle from a
reinstall of the hyphen packages for yet another package that depends on
teTeXbin.)

>> /var/pkg/lib/texmf/ls-R contained these files quite often.  Some part of the
>> install script seems to mess this up.
>
> This is strange.  The install script does not modify ls-R directly; it only
> calls mktexlsr to rebuild it.
>
>> I've recreated that file (ls -R > ls-R) and we're down to about 3 minutes
>> per hyphen package.  (Still rather long for installing a few files, so this
>> begs further cleanup!)
>
> It is not just installing a few files.  Whenever hyphenation patterns are
> modified, all the installed formats must be rebuilt.

  Perhaps, but once for each of the 32 packages?  That sounds wasteful.  Like I
said, even with a fixed ls-R, it takes 3 minutes for each, or 1.5 hours for all
of them.  On a modern machine, at that.

yours,
dillo