Re: PostgreSQL PKGNAME

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 09:02:35AM +0100, Adam wrote:
>>> Before I commit the update for PostgreSQL packages, I would like to
>>> change their PKGNAME to postgresql-xxx instead of postgresql90-xxx,
>>> postgresql83-xxx, postgresql82-xxx. The same way as MySQL packages
>>> are named.
>>
>> Please do NOT change the package name like that. Just because e.g. PHP
>> and MySQL want to create a major hassle isn't an argument to do it for
>> sane software as well.
>
> Do you object to the act of changing, or to the new state?  Could you
> explain the 'major hassle'?

I strongly object this.

There's technical problem that makes this renaming dangerous.
When you update using binary packages (e.g. pkg_add -u), tools
search for packages with the same name (pkgbase) and select
the most recent one. You know what it means to PostgreSQL.

It means that you're going to update "postgresql-server-8.3.12"
to "postgresql-server-9.0.2" with all arising consequences.

--
HE CE3OH...