Re: Escaping quotes in CFLAGS

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 08:20:08AM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 01:05:17AM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
> >
> > As PREFIX doesn't contain spaces
> The assumption is incorrect. On a number of platforms, ${PREFIX}
> could contain spaces. This is not to say that you wouldn't lose
> elsewhere because of this, of course; however, as these lists
> get indexed by the search engines, the less proliferation that
> invalid assumptions get, the better.

If (and I haven't looked) make itself ever uses PREFIX for a filename
(rather than just expanding it is a command line) then haiving it
even contain spaces is bad, bad, bad news.

Make doesn't support spaces (or a few other characters) in filenames
as it has no general method of escaping 'special' characters.

Note that some partts of make will treat '\' as an escape, this
has been 'botched' into a few places and cannot be made to work.

If you get make to dump its symbol table after pkgsrc has been
running, you'll see a lot of symbols whose names end in a '\'.
This is because some of the pkgsrc makefiles expect to qoute things.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost