Re: Suppress binary package install warnings on teeny OS changes (Was: Making it easier to get and use pkgsrc)

On 12 December 2010 11:32, Jean-Yves Migeon <jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost>
wrote:
> On 12.12.2010 02:56, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 10:56:11PM +0100, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
>>> - suppress warning when pkg_add'ing packages where build and target
>>> system have different minor revisions (e.g. NetBSD-5.0.2 vs
>>> NetBSD-5.1.RC4, for example)
>>
>> To set a good example of coding vs. talking ;) I've improved the
>> version check so pkg_add doesn't warn about adding packages from
>> nearly the same opsys version.
>>
>> In particular, this currently accepts (on NetBSD) any of foo_ALPHA*,
>> foo_BETA*, foo_RC*, foo_STABLE*, foo_PATCH* the same as foo.
>> Support for more platforms should be easy to add.
>>
>> I'm not so sure about accepting 5.0 vs. 5.1, as you suggest above, so
>> I left that out for now.
>
> I am all for this patch. While this is certainly problematic for !NetBSD
> OS, I can't find a reason why it shouldn't be committed. Major revisions
> for NetBSD should be binary compatible.

pkgsrc on Linux has its own issues with warnings, with binary packages being
installed on the host that build them giving warnings such as
"pkg_add: Linux/x86_64 2.6.18 (pkg) vs. Linux/x86_64
2.6.18-164.11.1.el5 (this host)"

Just another supporting comment for going ahead and committing this exactly as
you've described. :)