Re: python egg info

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 02:07:24PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> After including lang/python/, 'make package' (DESTDIR mode) fails
> with:
>   usage: [global_opts] cmd1 [cmd1_opts] [cmd2 [cmd2_opts] ...]
>      or: --help [cmd1 cmd2 ...]
>      or: --help-commands
>      or: cmd --help
>   error: option --single-version-externally-managed not recognized

This is a sign that it isn't using setuptools, which is a requirement
for working with older Python versions at the very least.

> 1) Why does PY_NO_EGG default to yes?  Should it be set to NO in
> Or is that about not installing egg metadata in the package directory
> itself?

Packages using egg should also use setuptools. That would take care of
the rest.

> 2) Is a python module that has and doesn't implement
> --single-version-externally-managed broken?

Tentatively yes.

> A) that --single-version-externally-managed is the python way for an
> egg-aware package to be told
>   1) there will only be one version of this package installed, and
>   2) the egg data should be in .../site-package so that it will be found
>   by require

Yes, it stops the package from using a full subdirectory, making it more
similar to the classic way. Meta data is still in the
${EGGNAME}-${PYVERS}.egg-info subdirectory.

> B) py-crypto is not really 'egg aware' in the modern mainstream sense,
> but in some more limited sense that still allows require to find it.

I can't talk about py-crypto, but if it doesn't use setuptools, it
shouldn't require egg meta data at all.