Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/flavor/pkg

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:40:13 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Perhaps we could have -U not fail on these pinned dependencies, and just
> warn, or have a different override.  Until then, I think it's more
> imporant for the normal case to work.
>
> The problem I am having is that things are being changed to support the
> non-replace approach with destdir that are causing regressions with make
> replace.  I think make replace really should work before we turn on
> destdir by default - but we already have.

I agree in principle that we shouldn't add dependency constraints that
make updating even more difficult. At least not until our packaging
system supports transactional multipackage updates with one dependency
resolution pass that takes all updates into account. It can be done for
binary packages (like some other packaging systems have) but I have no
idea how that would even be implemented when updating from source
packages so I doubt it will happen soon.

On the other hand, I don't think sprinkling -f on the problem is the
right fix either.

The osabi dummy package itself seems to me like a rather kludgy solution
to a subset of a difficult problem. From the perspective of updating
it causes more problems than it solves. Besides, when you try to install
a package build for a different OS release you already get a warning
from the tools.

Kind regards,
-Tobias