state of the art in python/alternatives

I realize why it's wrong of people to expect 'python' to exist, because
it's not stable (interface wise) and programs that use python really
have to bind to a particular version at build time.  But there are lots
of things out there that either don't understand or don't believe this.

By default, pkgsrc seems not to create /usr/pkg/bin/python, but I
understand there is some ALTERNATIVES thing that can be made to do it.
If that is done, what is the plan for managing dependencies so that as
python changes from 2.5 to 2.6 that packages properly appear stale (and
unsafe_depends).

As an another way around this, what about having a python-bare package
that is at version 2.6 that depends on python2.6 explicitly.  Then
people that need to accomodate programs that demand "#!/usr/bin/env
python" works can install it.  (Of course, we should still fix such
python-using programs in pkgsrc, and send the fixes upstream.)