Re: Reinstalling the package

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:40:31 +0900, Jeremy C. Reed
<> wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

Suppose I want to REinstall the package with the same version 1.2.3.

Can the following cause any breakages?

  pkg_delete -f xyz
  pkg_add /path/to/xyz-1.2.3.tgz

If yes, in which situations. Examples in pkgsrc tree?

Runtime usage -- temporarily break software. (As a workaround I had
patch for pkg_add for a new replace option that overwrote existing
package and then attempted to remove files not in new package.)

Why not use pkg_add -U?

Loss of +REQUIRED_BY data, so next time pkg_add may allow it to be
deinstalled without using -f.

"pkg_admin rebuild-tree" fixes it, from pkg_admin(1).

OBATA Akio /