Re: How do I tell if my pkg tools are too old?

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:08:28PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> Or rather - that's what I want to do - at that point, how do I know if
> my pkg_add is up to date enough to work properly with the binary package?
> And perhaps a secondary question, how do I know I should even ask that
> question?

The tools ATM don't enforce that. Which is somewhat buggy. It will be
addressed at some point soon.

> In particular, for example, do very old pkg_delete versions properly
> remove everything installed with a new binary package?

It should work if you use the prune argument, I forgot which it was.

> I know how to find out what version is installed (pkg_admin -V), what I don't
> know is how to find out if that version is good enough.

A somewhat working manual indicator is
        pkg_info -B \* | grep PKGTOOLS_VERSION | sort -u

Joerg