Re: Proper selection of compression algorithm

Yes!

Filename suffixes are a positively insane way for anything to do
just about anything - one of the (few) good things about the original
MacOS was that it allowed users to name files whatever they wanted,
and didn't try and extract meaning from the names the users chose.
(ie: no stupid .xxx noise in the file required to tell the software
what kind of file this one is).

Doing that by having the packages explicitly say what compression the
distfile uses (absent some other automatic way to determine it) seems
like a much cleaner design than assuming that something for which the
last 4 chars of the filename just happen to be ".tgz" is a gzip'd tar
file (I often call my gzip'd tar files /tmp/T - though not for distribution)

kre