Re: binary compatible jpeg-8 v.s. jpeg-8nb1

    Date:        Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:26:28 +0100
    From:        Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost>

  | I should note that unless this is proven to be a run-time problem a
  | revbump will not be neccessary. So far I have only seen link-time
  | errors.

Yes, at least on NetBSD I can run an application that was linked against
jpeg-8 using jpeg-8nb1 at run time - that is, the application has the
"@@LIBJPEG_8.0" noise appended to the undefined symbols it uses from
libjpeg.so but libjpeg.so doesn't have that stuff, and it works OK, or
seems to from the testing I did.

I also notice that undefined symbols from libpng were referenced with
"@@PNG12_0" on them - is whatever caused that to be removed from jpeg
likely to have to happen to png as well?

I guess that for me (and others), the right thing to do is just to locate
all the libraries that are failing to link, and rebuild them, but this doesn't
really seem like the ideal outcome.

kre