Re: cycle in dependency graph

Steven Drake <sdrake%xnet.co.nz@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 04:28:21PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> > ftp isn't really a dependency because the file passes checksum
>> > afterwards.  I'll see if this happens to me for any other packages.  For
>> > some reason it does not happen for digest; the build does not use ccache.
>>
>> ftp is certainly a dependency, but the tool framework uses the "builtin"
>> platform tool on NetBSD.
>
> As an example on a Linux system:
>
> # pkg_info -N checkperms
> Information for checkperms-1.10:
>
> Built using:
> digest-20080510
> tnftp-20070806
>
> Technically it was also build using:
> bmake-20090909
> bootstrap-mk-files-20090807
> pkg_install-20091015

That's what I was getting at about not a 'real' dependency.  ftp fetched
files, but they were then checksummed.  So while ftp was needed, a new
ftp doesn't mean that checkperms should be rebuilt.

digest, on the other hand, could have a bug where checksums are wrong
(obviously highly highly unlikely) and if it did and had a new version,
it would be sane to want to rebuild packages that depended on it.

So perhaps

 ftp should not be recorded in pkg_info -N

 digest should have CHECKPERMS_SKIP

But, the current state isn't bothering me, since my systems are
cycle-free.