uname -m and MACHINE_ARCH

Hi list,

pkgsrc's guide mentions that there used to be a ${ARCH} variable that expanded to the same value as "uname -m".

However, as the guide says, this feature was removed.

I have a package (wip/libmicro) where nearly all build and installtation scripts use the output of uname -m to generate binaries.

I currently use MACHINE_ARCH, which expands to `uname -p`.

Out of interest, for portability reasons, what would be advised to make the whole thing more portable, both from an OS and architecture PoV?

Thanks!

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost