Re: pkg_comp -- quick exit if pkg is installed already

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton%gmx.net@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've noticed a little annoyance for pkg_comp: if you give it a
> list of packages that are installed already, it will a) try to
> build these packages nonetheless, and b) note that this package
> is "in error", because the install target failed. In fact everything
> is fine though. This can be provoked two ways:
> 1) pkg_comp build (a package that is installed in chroot already)
> 2) pkg_comp build (list of package names including dependencies)
>
> The first case is obvious, the second builds the dependencies as
> required, but if your dependencies come later in the invocation
> (say, you are taking the list of packages to build from a pkgchk.conf,
> which is alphabetically sorted, not topologically) ... stuff "fails".

Yeah, 2 is pretty annoying.

> So, of course there's an easy solution:
[...]

Yeah, except this will not catch cases where the installed package is
older than the newest one.

I wouldn't bother with case 1.  But case 2 deserves fixing.  The only
problem with fixing 2 is that the real solution involves calculating
the whole list of packages to build and sorting them according to
their dependencies... which is not trivial to do from shell.

That said, I guess your fix helps more than it causes any harm.  So,
could you please file a PR with it, and include a diff to also bump
the package version number?

Thanks,

--
Julio Merino