Re: pkgsrc RC scripts

2009/10/5 Hauke Fath <>
> At 19:56 Uhr +0700 4.10.2009, Robert Elz wrote:
> > Â| (1) Install pkgsrc RC scripts by default into /etc/rc.pkg.d, not
> > Â| /etc/rc.d and adjust the default value for rc_directories accordingly.
> > Â| This keeps the logical separation between base and pkgsrc RC scripts
> >
> >That's not a desirable goal.
> I'll have to second this. What applies to one /var and one /etc ("system
> {state,config} in one place") applies to rc.d scripts. Spreading out start
> scripts by arbitrary criteria violates POLA, and is not helpful for systems
> maintenance.
> At least, please make the new directory optional.

Maybe they should be installed into PREFIX/etc/rc.d and we can have a
pkg_install option (which may default to on) which manages a set of
symlinks from /etc/rc.d to PREFIX/etc/rc.d/ (iff they are different
locations). Creates symlink on install, removes before uninstall.

Could do copy rather than symlink if people prefer...