Re: Getting rid of binary package subdirs?

On 09/16/09 22:39, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009, Adam Hoka wrote:
I'm wondering if we have any good reason to keep subdirs for binary
packages on FTP. The current foo_1970Q1/All scheme is pretty
counter-intuitive from the user perspective. So, could we just use a
single directory for holding the binary packages from the bulk builds?

Categories exist to help judge what a package is.
Why deny this help? Of course, having a decent package installer would
be nice, but until then... "why?"

Because no one manually browses ftp in 21. century.
We have pkg_install and lately pkgin to fulfill this.

At least I think our users deserve this level of comfort.