Re: Support for Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Am 13.09.2009 um 12:56 schrieb Matthias Scheler:

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:08:21PM -0700, Min Sik Kim wrote:
Even with a 32-bit kernel, Snow Leopard is still capable of running
64-bit applications, and in fact all the (universal) binaries have
64-bit versions in them.

I know that. But all Intel Macs execute them? Some of them use
Core Duo (not Core *2* Duo) CPU which IIRC don't support
64 bit mode.

one could always set

CFLAGS+=.....

in one's mk.conf to optimize for one's specific machine (in fact to me this is one of the great advantage of pkgsrc). That's why I think pkgsrc should be very cautious about setting any defaults. Now the issue of uname returing "i386" and building of some packages failing due to gcc creating 64 bit code, is that an inherent issue of pkgsrc, or is that an issue of the upstream code of those packages? Does the same issue occur as well when building outside pkgsrc? If the latter is the case, how likely/easy is it to be fixed upstream? In the mean time, would adding a respective hacks.mk to the affected packages help?

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
georg.schwarz%freenet.de@localhost  +49 151 11559652