Re: make fetch-list

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 07:33:23PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> (...)
> This brings me to the more interesting question of how "make fetch-list"
> should behave.

What's wrong with how it's behaving? The checksum part lacking
after an attempted download?

> I think the current logic is too complicated for the
> purpose of "running on a second machine without pkgsrc"

Why's that? Too hard to collect shell-stuff-only that performs the
equivalent task of pkgsrc with various variables either set or not
set?

Not sure you've asked for something like this but here we go
nevertheless:

I used to use it for a place where I did have pkgsrc on a machine
but didn't have internet all the time. I created several fetch-list.sh's
and ran all of them when I got online. Once that was finished I
knew I had the necessary distfiles [well, most of the time] and
could build the packages (which was taking longer than the fetching)
without having to have internet access.

The other usage scenario I had was a unix machine which had access
to the internet but my netbsd servers were locked away behind in
some LAN where I couldn't access the internet. I used temporary
space on that first server, uploading the scripts to there via LAN,
running these and then lateron pushing the downloads from that
gateway machine back on the LAN. (note that I had no control
over whether I could or not directly access the internet).

I think make something-to-create-a-fetch-shell-script is pretty
useful.

Regards,
-Martin