Re: Making syspkgs and makefs play nice together

In article
<1928A5FF-6F13-4919-AEDF-9FF08152AF5D%must-have-coffee.gen.nz@localhost> Lloyd
wrote:
: Hi all,
: I want to be able to build filesystems from syspkgs/pkgsrc format
: packages and there are a few things that need to be ironed out before
: this can happen.

: I want to add an unprivileged mode to pkg_add that will probably be
: enabled automatically if you aren't running it as root. In this mode
: it will not try and set any file permissions.

[...]

: I can then write an AWK program to convert a package's PLIST into an
: mtree specification for makefs.

: Comments anyone?

  I would suggest that the unprivileged mode of pkg_add (optionally)
writes out the mtree specification itself.  pkg_add knows the
ownership and permission the installed files should have, and can
record that in a file instead of setting them directly in the file
system (like install(1) does when it's invoked by build.sh).

  Alternatively, we could change the PLIST format to be an mtree
specification.

                                                yours,
                                                dillo