Re: gtk2 apps aborting with assertion "character != 0" failed: file "xdgmimecache.c", line 462, function "cache_glob_node_lookup_suffix"

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:07:50 +0100 (BST), David Brownlee
<abs%absd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> With the latest pkgrsc (from last night), gtk2 using apps abort
>       with the following error when I try to change directories in
>       the file save dialog:
>
> assertion "character != 0" failed: file "xdgmimecache.c", line 462,
> function "cache_glob_node_lookup_suffix"
>
>       Tested in at least evince, gimp, and firefox3.
>
>       Has anyone else seen this? This is on i386 5.0_RC4 and first
>       noticed when I updated pkgsrc a few days ago, but rebuilding
>       from the latest pkgsrc still shows the same behaviour.
>
>       This system was installed from binary packages (/usr/pkg and
>       /var/db/pkg* nuked and then packages installed). Interestingly
>       when I 'ssh -Y' to the system which built the packages and
>       run evince there back to this system's display it doesn't
>       exhibit the issue...

This turned out to be related to something in the account's dotfiles -
moving them all to one side and logging in again made the problem go away.
If I get a chance I'll try to track it down to *which* dotfile...