Re: Slow build times on Mac OS X

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 06:37:25PM +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> Intriguing. What version of bash does OSX ship ...

GNU bash, version 3.2.17(1)-release (i386-apple-darwin9.0)

> ... and how does it fair if you build bash from pkgsrc and point /bin/sh
> to it?

I'll post the results later together with the "ksh" results.

> Also, it might be worthwhile to investigate other options such as
> shells/mksh, wip/dash ...

I'm sorry but I disagree. We already have bootstrap support for "pdksh"
and it seems to perform rather nicely. Using "pdksh" the Intel Mac
compiles faster than the slower NetBSD machine.

> ... or even statically linked bash.

All the other the other shells are linked dynamically as well.

        Kind regards