Re: First pkg_dry milestone

Hi Thomas,

I have a set of binary packages installed. I want to install a new
(previously not installed) package, let's call it foo, without
disturbing my installation. foo depends on bar. bar-1.0 with
libbar.so.1 is installed. The latest version of bar in pkgsrc is
bar-2.0 with libbar.so.2.

The server has binary packages for foo-4.0 (built against bar-1.0) and
foo-4.0nb1 (built against bar-2.0).

pkg_dry -i should install foo-4.0, even though it's not the absolutely
latest version, but it works with the bar-1.0 that's installed.

AFAIK, the pkg_summary file contains sufficient information for this
case.

Alternatively, pkg_dry would have update bar and all its dependencies
to 2.0 first.

Here's the way it works as of today :

Assuming you want to install the package "foo", pkg_dry -i foo will query the database (previously fed by pkg_summary(5)) for a PKGPATH of this form: '*/foo-[0-9]*'. The package name is then given by PKGNAME. This exact name, followed by the ".tgz" extension, is the name of the archive to be dowloaded in ${PKG_PATH}.

If foo has a dependency on bar>=1, there will be no more actions than the download and installation of foo-X.Y.Z.tgz, the one mentionned in PKGNAME.

If foo has a dependency on bar>=2, things are getting complicated. IMHO there's two options here :

. There's no more bar-1. in the repository, and as a matter of fact, no
  more packages depending on bar-1, which means every package installed on
  your system has now an upgrade in the repository with a new dependency
  on bar-2

. There's still a bar-1 living on the repository, usually in this kind of
  situation we have bar1-[0-9]* and bar2-[0-9]*, but there's maybe a
  counter-example.

Do you have a real-life example of this kind of usecase ?

Alternatively, I _could_ add a switch that permits to check if there's many choices for foo-4.0*.tgz on the repository, but I'd like to be sure there's a real need.

Thanks

Emile "iMil" Heitor <imil%home.imil.net@localhost>
    _
                   http://gcu-squad.org            ASCII ribbon campaign ( )