Re: libffi, python25, and PowerPC (and perhaps others)

2009/3/23 Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:43:37PM +0100, J?rn Clausen wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Joerg Sonnenberger
>> <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>> >
>> > The package is incomplete otherwise. Try building it with
>> > PKG_DEVELOPER=yes. As in: it was broken before, just that noone cared.
>>
>> Can you elaborate on "it was broken"? libffi won't compile on
>> Solaris/x86 either, and by commenting out the libffi part in python25,
>> the version included with Python (which, admittedly, is quite old) is
>> used. I prefer a package with maybe some features missing from one
>> that does not build at all. Python has far too many depending packages
>> these days.
>
> The included version generally just fails and in that case the package
> ends up being incomplete. The biggest question for the mess that is
> Solaris is how to distinguish a 32bit build from a 64bit build. AFAIK it
> uses otherwise normal ABI.
>
> Joerg

python25 still does not build on macppc as dicussed previously -- the
following is from pkgsrc as of today:

checking whether mmap from /dev/zero works... yes
checking for MAP_ANON(YMOUS)... yes
checking whether mmap with MAP_ANON(YMOUS) works... yes
configure: error: "libffi has not been ported to powerpc--netbsd."
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/NetBSD/pkgsrc/devel/libffi
WARNING: *** Please consider adding fortran to USE_LANGUAGES in the
package Makefile.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/NetBSD/pkgsrc/devel/libffi
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/NetBSD/pkgsrc/devel/libffi
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/NetBSD/pkgsrc/lang/python25
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /home/NetBSD/pkgsrc/lang/python25
bash-4.0#

- erik