Re: destdir: 'make package' inconsistency

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 11:07:10PM +0200, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:

 >  >> FWIW you don't want to invoke make like that!
 >  >> 'make foo bar' requests that both 'foo' and 'bar' be built, it
 >  >> does not define any order.
 >  >> The target commands for 'make clean' could be done at any time
 >  >> during the build sequence.
 >
 > > Hmm.  While I like the semantics with -j, I think targets on the command
 > > line should be done in order.
 >
 > While it makes sense for pkgsrc, I think making targets in order
 > breaks the traditional make's semantics.

Not at all; traditional make semantics is that targets on the right
hand side of a rule are handled in order. There are probably still
quite a few old makefiles around that rely on this property.

 > If bmake accepts .WAIT as an argument, it makes sense to implement
 > shorter synonym for it, for example, `.' (one symbol dot) or something
 > similar.

What if I want to make the current directory? Adding extra magic
aliases seems like a bad idea.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost