Re: destdir: 'make package' inconsistency

"OBATA Akio" <> writes:

> On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 20:53:48 +0900, Thomas Klausner
> <> wrote:
>> I've not so recently noticed that 'make package' with destdir has
>> different behaviour than without destdir.
>> Currently (without destdir), make package does
>>      make && make install && create binary package
>> With destdir, it does
>>      make && create binary package
>> but doesn't install it.
> No. Even if destdir, make && make install && create binary package.
> Just "make install" install files in destdir.
> If you want to create && install package, do "make package-install" instead.

While we are here, from user point of view, it would be nice, if targets
did the same thing in both operation modes, with destdir or without.
That is: if I specify USE_DESTDIR=full, it is nice, if "make install"
does install package, though with additional destdir stage. Same for package.

Currently there's a subtle difference, which forces to choose a different
value for DEPENDS_TARGET and INSTALL_TARGET, if you want to have safer
(USE_DESTDIR=full) mode of operation.

Maybe the whole part can be redesigned in a way to allow cross-building.