working around gcc bug

How would one implement a patch to work around the gcc bug described here?

forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5348351

At a minimum, I guess it would require changes to configure.in and the
source makefile.  The package in question is audio/arts, so if someone knows
right off how it should be done and can just do it, that would be great.
Otherwise, point me in the right direction and I'll try to work out a good
patch to submit.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!