MKHTML and users of bsd.*.mk in pkgsrc

Hi,

From the I-really-had-no-idea-what-I-was-stepping-into, I just had a
nice failure in pkgsrc, for an apparently innocent package, checkperms.

Ever since a couple weeks maybe (I know there was some fuss about it,
but I haven't followed closely), MKHTML has been turned on by default in
base.

Whether it's a good thing or not is not the scope of that post.  The
fact is that on NetBSD, some packages in pkgsrc use the bsd.*.mk found
in the base system.  They're impacted by such changes, notably for the
PLIST or even the directory layout (in this case, checkperms fails
installing because there's no logic to create LOCALBASE/man/html1).

You'd think it is easy to turn MKHTML off for pkgsrc, but it's actually
not:  packages are built so that /etc/mk.conf doesn't affect them.
There is a valid reason for that:  the point, after all, is to have
reproducible builds, independent of the environment.

Except we still fail.

So I propose the following:  pkgsrc should provide a default inner
mk.conf for NetBSD (I hope it's the only platform where we use the
host make in that way) with all the user-settables set to certain
values, so that when a change is made ins src, it doesn't affect
pkgsrc.

Comments?

Now there's the issue of eventually dealing with HTML man pages...

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost