Perl package version numbers

Hi,

in a recent update triggered by lintpkgsrc + pkgdepgraph, and
comparing the "before" with the "after" packages, this one
strikes me as worthy of at least a question:

-p5-DateTime-TimeZone-0.6904
+p5-DateTime-TimeZone-0.77

Is that "new" version number smaller or larger than the old
version number, according to our version numbering scheme?

...which brings up another question, where exactly is our version
numbering scheme defined?

For instance, the man page for p5-pkgsrc-Dewey does not contain
neither a definition nor examples, and the pkgsrc manual gives no
useful hits when the index is searched for "dewey" or "version".

Regards,

- Håvard