Re: Porting Numpy

On Tuesday 12 August 2008 07:39:12 Mark Davies wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > not really, although g95 is installed on the system and due to
> > patch-aa it seems that it used this compiler.
> OK, so the package needs some more work to use the fortran
> compiler that pkgsrc gives it rather than its idea of the best
> from what it can find.
> > After deinstallation
> > of g95, wip/py-numpy installs but still produces the same error
> > as with my home grown solution, which was reported in PR36092.
> The package is assuming the attached fixes to the lapack and blas
> packages, that I haven't got around to committing yet.
> > Adding libF77 and libI77  symbol MAIN__. I know octave works
> > which also uses the lapack library but can't see what makes the
> > difference in case of py_numpy.
> Presumably octave is linking in such a way that it pulls in the
> fortran runtime libraries itself whereas numpy doesn't, certainly
> thats what happens in the case of other users of lapack and blas
> (such as R).
> cheers
> mark

Many thanks for the patches. I'd the lapack patch applied
previously, but not the one for blas. Anyhow, I've rebuilt both
applications and I'm now getting the following error:

File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/lib/",
line 8, in <module>
    import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
File "/usr/pkg/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/",
line 5, in <module>
    import multiarray
ImportError: /usr/pkg/lib/ Undefined PLT symbol "MAIN__"
(symnum = 164)

This is as far as I got previously. nm show the following:

barossa: {92} nm /usr/pkg/lib/ | grep MAIN
         U MAIN__

MAIN__ is declared as an external function in libF77/main.c inside
the f2c package.

cheerio Berndt