Re: multi-variant packages and bulk builds

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
 >> Oops. Pardon. It is below.

> IC... it adds definitions to the pkg Makefiles (and friends), but
> the bulk build systems in pkgsrc don't make use of it.  No idea what
> people think about plugging in support for external build systems
> that way...
First, this variable is not only for distbb. It obviously may be used
by pbulk of bulk build framework easily. Second, based on this
variable you/and_me_too can create 'make all-packages' target or
something else. I didn't think about applications much, though.

This addition just makes pkgsrc external API more functional and
universal. As I already said it is trivial for me to list/hardcode
python/php/apache special variables inside
distbb (share/distbb/distbb.mk) just like pbulk did.
But I think this is bad design. It is better to implemented such things
inside pkgsrc. In this case changes in packages should not lead to changes
in bulk build system. Say, what happened if
emacs20/21/22/xemacs becomes multi-variant package?
pbulk will need changes...

And finally, what does "external build system" mean?
Is distbb closed-source? ;-)

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.