Re: Updates still broken

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 02:37:11PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 03:48:34AM +0000, John Klos wrote:
> > Latest pkgsrc, Darwin, whatever; bmake update in various pkgsrc related
> > locations is still broken:
>
> Yes and it will not be fixed in the short term. I've dropped a patch to
> tech-pkg a while ago so that make replace will use pkg_add -u in the
> update case. Combine that with pkg_install-renovation where pkg_add -u
> will keep the preserve state and it works.

I hope you mis-typed that last paragraph.

"make replace"'s job is to compile the new package, pkg_tarup the old,
pkg_delete the old package, and install the new package.  There is, and
will be, no "pkg_add -u" in that mix at all.

I don't mind your messing up the state of things on your own branch,
but I strongly object to gratuitous breakage in the main tree.

I think we have reached the stage now to take a long look at your
changes to the main tree, and, if they haven't brought any benefits to
the users of pkgsrc, we'll back them out.

> Until then, your best bet is something like
> make package USE_DESTDIR=full
> pkg_delete -ff bootstrap-mk-files
> pkg_add ${PACKAGES}/All/bootstrap-mk-files
> date /var/db/pkg/bootstrap-mk-files-*/+PRESERVE

pkgsrc is not a research tool, it is software which is used by real
people every day, often for their work, and, as such, having a tree
which is not able to be brought up to date simply and easily is just
unacceptable.

Regards,
Alistair