Re: bootstrap on already bootstrapped system not supported?

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:29:57PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 09:03:31PM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > >
> > > It never was.
> >
> > It used to be - that's how it was tested when I wrote it.
>
> OK, let me rephrase it then. It changed when the bootstrap components
> where actually registered as packages and not just installed. That's a
> long time ago and I don't think going back to the dark age is a good
> idea here.

Oh, I quite agree, and as the one who wrote the shell script which did
the job of pkg_create and registered pkg_install's entries during the
bootstrap process, I'm a bit mystified as to why you think that
packages did not get registered during the bootstrap process.

And so to some practical suggestions - this is one area where I think
we're not doing nearly as well as we used to.

I believe that we should be discussing these issues, to try to find
genuine workable solutions for these kind of problems.

To that end, it strikes me that one could register to a different
PKG_DBDIR, or move the PKG_DBDIR out of the way when a new bootstrap
is attempted, or note that there is an existing bootstrap in place,
does the user want to overwrite with the new one.

Regards,
Al