Re: dependancies and bulk builds

On Thu, 22 May 2008 22:48:45 +0200
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hi,
> the way we currently handle depandancies in bulk builds is really suboptimal.
> The perl upgrade was a disaster, almost everything was rebuilt, taking
> several days, because of this. But in most case it's just a depedancy at build
> time (perl is part of the tools) and the resulting binaries don't depend on
> it.
> A lot of time to provide updated binaries could have been saved here.
> Now it's libvorbis which has been updated, causing kdelibs to be rebuilt
> So all kde will be rebuilt, and I suspect a lot of gnome too.
> Again it's just a PKGREVISION bump, I'm almost sure the abi didn't change
> and rebuilding the whole set of packages depending on it up to LEAF packages
> is just a waste of time.
>
> Would someone have a look at improving this ?

I find that using ccache in the builds is a *huge* timesaver.

The problem here is a conflict of interests:
On one hand we want to be able to quickly generate binary packages.
On the other hand bulk builds are _also_ used as a tool to detect
breakage, and for that purpose it's actually good to do seemingly
unnecessary rebuilds.

It would be nice to have an option for altering the dependency
behaviour.
The code that needs to be updated for this lives in:
pkgsrc/pkgtools/pbulk/files/pbulk/scripts/pkg-up-to-date

-Tobias