Re: pkg_summary(5) and license restrictions

In article <20080521205245.GA11707%britannica.bec.de@localhost> Joerg wrote:
: On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 05:18:25PM +0300, Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
: > Unfortunately a few important fields are absent in pkg_summary(5):
: >  NO_BIN_ON_CDROM
: >  NO_BIN_ON_FTP

: I don't think they should be included in the pkg_summary.

  Why?

: Actually, those should be attributes of the license and nothing else.

  Yes, they should be set according to the license.  Are you arguing
for the removal of these variables?  If so, I strongly object: they
are a simple anser to a decision distributors of binary pacakges have
to make (can I include them in the collection).

  Currently, they are set by hand.  When this came up in the past and
I suggested the value be stored with the license and set by the pkgsrc
infrastructure, it was argued that that was not worthwhile since very
few non-free licenses are used by more than one package (or a group of
packages sharing a Makefile.common).

                                        yours,
                                        dillo